One of the tools I teach in my LaughterJam Humor Workshop is an easy way to have more fun with people all day long: Try not to give a serious answer to any question that doesn’t require it.
Since few of us are quick enough to come up with funny quips in the heat or heart of the moment, it’s a good idea – and a lot of fun – to practice and prepare. Which really just means: playtime!
So how do we do that?
Well, there are certain questions we get asked all the time, like:
- How are you?
- Where are you from?
- What do you do?
- How much have you had to drink tonight and where is your toupee?
So if we can have just a few funny answers in our back pocket, ready to unleash, we can usually give ourselves and others a moment of fun, and frequently laughter.
Long-time readers might remember a contest we had years ago for answers to the question “How are you?” or “How ya doing?” We got a bunch of hilarious responses, and I’ve even used a few of ‘em in the above mentioned workshop.
So now I’d like to see what you come up with for “What do you do?” This is the kind of question we get asked at parties, PTA meetings, group therapy sessions, on airplanes, and in county holding cells. In other words, fairly often. And there’s very rarely a need to answer it seriously.
To have fun answering this, there are a couple of ways to go. One is to make up completely ridiculous replies from scratch, and the other is to do a comedic rewrite of what you actually do, or used to do, or how you spend your time now if you’re retired.
Examples of the former: What do you do?
- Everything except exercise.
- I sell elevators. But ones that only go up. No downers.
- I’m a comedian for people with dementia. It’s great because I only have to know one joke.
- [quietly mumble] I sell hearing aids. [they ask] What? [loudly] I SELL HEARING AIDS.
Examples of the latter, in this case things I, Greg, do: What do you do?
- Laugh at myself.
- I misbehave with people in public.
- I’m a Musical Lafologist. [What's that?] I sing, play guitar, write songs, and try to be funny.
- I’m a Deputy. [What kind of deputy?] My dog is the rabbit sheriff of the neighborhood and I’m the deputy.
So Here’s A Contest – With Prizes!
Big fun for everyone. Here are the rules:
- You can answer the question “What do you do?” as many times as you like for the next two weeks until July 4.
- Enter your answers (entries) in the Comment Box below. That way we can ALL see the entries, who entered them, and when. Fairness!
- Depending on how many we get, I’ll winnow them down to the top 20 or so. Then I’ll have a panel of funny people I trust weigh in and vote for their favorites.
- Please be original. Remember, I have a joke site, so I’ll probably know if your answer comes from somewhere other than your own personal cerebellum.
Winners 4 through 10: a choice of one of my 6 CDs or my book, Atilla The Gate Agent.
Winners 1 through 3: 4 of my CDs, plus my book, plus an Analog Brain In A Digital World t-shirt (sizes L, XL, and XXL)
* If more than one person enters with the same or very similar answers, the first one to submit it is considered the entrant.
Okay! Dive In. Get Silly. Give It A Shot.
This is a chance to explore the humorous emanations of your own imagination, and see what kind of silliness is lurking in there. You never know what you’ll come up with until you give yourself permission to be playful.
I’ll announce the winners in the next newsletter (you can sign up here) and in a future blog post right here. The contest is for newsletter subscribers only, so you must be a subscriber to win.
NOTE: I might possibly use your answer(s) in future workshops and writings (giving you full credit if you desire), and your entry is your permission for me to do so.
NOTE: If you’ve never commented on this blog before, your entry will have to be approved by me before it shows up, but it will be in the queue and will be approved. Thanks for your patience!
© 2019 Greg Tamblyn